[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” menu_anchor=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=”” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_position=”center center” background_repeat=”no-repeat” fade=”no” background_parallax=”none” parallax_speed=”0.3″ video_mp4=”” video_webm=”” video_ogv=”” video_url=”” video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_loop=”yes” video_mute=”yes” overlay_color=”” video_preview_image=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” padding_top=”” padding_bottom=”” padding_left=”” padding_right=””][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” border_position=”all” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding_top=”” padding_right=”” padding_bottom=”” padding_left=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” center_content=”no” last=”no” min_height=”” hover_type=”none” link=””][fusion_text columns=”” column_min_width=”” column_spacing=”” rule_style=”default” rule_size=”” rule_color=”” class=”” id=””]
Before you great Adventure in Machu Picchu
Beautiful, Machu Picchu is a destination that all Peruvians should know and main destination for all international tourists, so here are some tips and advice to make your trips to Machu Picchu are much more rewarding and safe:
Well, I have personally traveled to Cusco more than 10 times and 6 times to Machu Picchu, it is an unforgettable and tireless experience, I could go another 5 times and I assure you that I will still say the same thing!However, I have heard problems and complaints from some tourists, many of them experience real nightmares, but all this is for lack of information, so I decided to do this article to help all those who want to have a magical trip to Machu Picchu and the millenary Cusco without problems:
1. The weather is a very important factor, look well in which season you are going to visit Machu Picchu, everything has its pros and cons, they say that the best thing is to go in dry season (April to October) where there are not many clouds and the photos come out spectacular…. but, being dry season the grass looks a little yellow, however, in the rainy season (November to March) you will see the grass very green, beautiful, everything blooms…. but many times the rain clouds play tricks on us, that’s why I don’t recommend them, they can spoil your picture, for me, the best season is from May to July, when the grass is still green and there are no clouds…. watch out, that in the rainy season the prices go down a lot! (you know why)
2. Avoid carrying a lot of things, Machu Picchu is a place to walk, and walk a lot! a small briefcase and water is recommended to take with you, the road is long and many times the beautiful sun is present, a cap, sunglasses and sunscreen would not be bad, but do not forget to bring a very light jacket, it is possible that in the afternoon there is a little wind, this tip to Machu Picchu is important.
3. The first thing you have to do when you arrive in Cusco is to rest at least a couple of hours and then go for a walk very slowly so that your body gets used to the altitude, you can take advantage of visiting first places in the center of the city like San Blas, the Plaza de Armas and the Stone of the 12 angles…. you can read my article Lima and Cusco – Basic package to Peru where you will have more destinations to know in the City.
4. Dizziness is common in height….soroche or altitude sickness, I recommend taking some 30min dizziness pill. Before arriving to the city (buy it in the city not in the airport) and of course, do not eat anything heavy or with a lot of fat on the first day, your body is just getting used to it, remember that the soroche is due to lack of oxygen, another good option is to buy a bottle of personal oxygen in the pharmacies of Cusco that are not worth more than $20.
5. A good guide makes the difference to have a good tour of Machu Picchu, keep in mind that you will receive a lot of information in a short time, ask for references about which are the most charismatic guides before entering the citadel (you can request it if you travel in group).
6. First visit all the tourist sites and then visit the museums of Cusco, so you can better understand the explanations of the guide and you can learn more, remember that most of the archaeological pieces are in the museums.
7. The Inca Trail is super cool! good for adventure tourism, but keep in mind that you must have very good physical condition or at least willpower, also implements and adequate equipment, in rainy season is extremely tired, read more about this topic in the article “How to get to Machu Picchu – Train or Inca Trail”.
8. If you pass through Ollantaytambo remember that the wind is strong, wear glasses to protect yourself from the wind and dirt that can enter your eyes.
9. Always wear light and sport clothes, a sweater or jacket at hand at all times, the weather is very variable, rain, sun, cold heat, everything is possible in Cusco, this is an important tip.
10. All services and trains to Machu Picchu are not the same and there is a lot of difference in the categories of them, this you should know when considering a trip from Cusco, the train station is half an hour away by taxi and the train to Machu Picchu has a duration of 4 hours (depending on what kind of train you travel), the trip in an economy class is really cheap but can be very uncomfortable, on the other hand, the trip in a higher or first class is incredible, majestic, fantastic, but… it can be extremely expensive…
11. Remember that your travel agency must precisely coordinate the journeys by car, before and after the train, because if you do not do it in advance you will lose a lot of time and money looking for mobility or taxis in the area.
12. When you go up to Machu Picchu take into account that everything is more expensive upstairs, if you want to bring water to drink, some accessories or something else because you buy in the city of Aguas Calientes, that is before going up or take it from Cusco.
13. An important point, the mountain that is next to Machu Picchu and appears in all the photos called Huayna Picchu has some ruins not very visited by tourism, if you arrive before 1 o’clock:00pm you will be able to climb, but remember that it is very difficult, no climbing experience is required but I know people who have stayed in the middle, BEWARE, all the people who want to climb, make them sign a certificate in which nobody is responsible if something happens to them due to the high danger and very difficult access of the area, it is superfluous to mention that this mountain should not be climbed in rainy season.
14. The Machu Picchu experience is a whole day, you leave at 6:00am and return to Cusco at 8:00pm.
If you follow these recommendations, you can only enjoy one of the new wonders of the world…